TRINITY PILGRIMAGE to Poland Ukraine & Lithuania September 2018
Sep 17 - Sep 28
Our Parish “TRINITY PILGRIMAGE” to Poland ,Ukraine and Lithuania
17th September to 28th September 2018
IMPORTANT / UWAGA !
The deadline for completing the registration form is 20th December 2017
Our Parish Pilgrimage during the 100th Anniversary of the Independence of Poland;
It may be you last chance in such a way before Brexit kicks in; –
Come and find about about the culture, heritage, history and devotions of these 3 countries
The Visit – What’s we will see
POLAND: Gdansk – Westerplatte, Gietrzwałd, Swieta Lipka Kraków – Lagiewniki (Divine Mercy Centre, St John Paul II’s Centre), Lancut, Zamosc, Sokólka (Eucharistic Miracle 2008), Suchowola & Mazury
UKRAINE: Lviv, Lawra Poczajowska, Olesk, Zwaniec, Luck, Kamieniec Podolski, Zwaniec, Chocim
LITHUANIA: Vilinius, Troki, Szydlów (1st Marian Apparition in Europe), Szawle, Kowno
Visit the places connected with many of our Saints; for example: St Sr Faustina, St John Paul II, Blessed Jerzy Popieluszko and many others;
Visit the places of the 1st Apparition of Our Lady in Europe in Lithuania, and the only one proved by the Church in Poland;
Visit the place of the Eucharistic Miracle which happened in 2008;
Experience the culture of all these countries – their cultural events, traditional music, clothes, dances and of course their food;
See the original image of Divine Mercy painted after the visions of St Sr Faustina
Don’t be afraid of the visit to Ukraine in our current times which may seem a dangerous country today. However the places we are visiting are over 350 miles away!!!! However if there is a change then we will visit Latvia instead.
Booking the Trip
So why not book up as one thing I can promise you will be loads of unforgettable memories. What’s more your organizer has 17 years experience in leading these Pilgrimages of a lifetime
COSTS £980.00 per person which includes the following
Round Trip Airfare – prices are inclusive of airline taxes and charges;
A modern coach with a professional driver at our constant disposal;
in double or triple rooms with WC & shower; Single rooms can be accommodated but only with earlier warning and has a surcharge of £130 – However there are only 15 available.
Local English speaking guides;
Breakfast and dinner daily B/D;
All Entrance fees & Local taxes;
Tips for guides and a driver;
A non-refundable deposit of £300 is required for booking
The following are NOT INCLUDED:
Items of a personal nature
Travel insurance – RECOMMENDED
BOOKING YOUR PLACE ON THE TRIP
This needs to be returned to Fr. Marcin Drabik: directly (105 Waverley Rd, Southsea PO5 2PL) or by e-mail: email@example.com
The Places we will Visit
Gdańsk (Danzig in German) is a port city on the Baltic coast of Poland. At the center of its Main Town, reconstructed after WWII, are the colorful facades of Long Market, now home to shops and restaurants. Nearby is Neptune Fountain, a 17th-century symbol of the city topped by a bronze statue of the sea god. Gdańsk is also a center for the world’s amber trade; boutiques throughout the city sell the ossified resin
Westerplatte is a peninsula in Gdańsk, Poland, located on the Baltic Sea coast mouth of the Dead Vistula, in the Gdańsk harbour channel.The Battle of Westerplatte was the first battle in the Invasion of Poland and marked the start of the Second World War in Europe. Beginning on September 1, 1939, German naval forces and soldiers and Danzig police assaulted the Polish Military Transit Depot (Wojskowa Składnica Tranzytowa, or WST) on the peninsula of Westerplatte, in the harbour of the Free City of Danzig. The Poles held out for seven days in the face of a heavy attack that included dive bomber attacks.
Gietrzwałd is a village in the North-East part of Poland, in Masurian-Warmia region, 20 km from the town Olsztyn. In the time, when the apparitions took place, Poland was partitioned among three countries and did not exist on the map of the world (1795 – 1918). In Masurian-Warmia region, the Polish people were forced to speak German. The Holy Mother, who appeared to two young girls – to Justyna Szafryńska and Barbara Samulowska, came with a message of conversion, penance for the sins and She gave a great hope to the distressed people. She gave her messages in Polish language – what cheered the Polish people very much in the period, when Poland did not exist as a country.
Our Lady appeared for the first time to Justyna Szafrynska (13) when she was returning home with her mother after having taken an examination prior to receiving the First Holy Communion. The next day, Barbara Samulowska (12) also saw the ‘Bright Lady’ sitting on the throne with Infant Christ among Angels over the maple tree in front of the church while reciting the rosary. The girls asked “Who are you?” she answered, “I am the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Immaculate Conception!”. “What do you require, Mother of God?”, they asked, the answer was: “I wish you recite the rosary everyday!”
Swieta Lipka (Heiligelinde) is a small village surrounded by forests and lakes in Mazury region, northern Poland. It is known for Poland’s oldest Marian sanctuary which has been attracting pilgrims since the Middle Ages. The church is also a historic monument of outstanding value listed as one of the most magnificent examples of Baroque architecture in Poland. It enchants with its beautiful interior with rich décor and a unique 18th-century organ with moving figurines and bells. The importance and popularity of Swieta Lipka can be shown by the fact that it is sometimes called “Czestochowa of the North”.
Kraków, a southern Poland city near the border of the Czech Republic, is known for its well-preserved medieval core and Jewish quarter. Its old town – ringed by Planty Park and remnants of the city’s medieval walls – is centered on the stately, expansive Rynek Glówny (market square). This plaza is the site of the Cloth Hall, a Renaissance-era trading outpost, and St. Mary’s Basilica, a 14th-century Gothic church.
Kraków-Łagiewniki – The Divine Mercy Sanctuary in Kraków, Poland is a Roman Catholic basilica dedicated to the Divine Mercy devotion, as the resting place of Saint Faustina Kowalska, canonized on April 30, 2000. The new basilica was built between 1999–2002, and is located in the District of Łagiewniki. Regular Holy Masses in the Lagiewniki Sanctuary of Divine Mercy.
Łańcut Castle is one of the most beautiful aristocratic residences in Poland, famous for its excellent interiors and extraordinarily interesting collection of horse-drawn carriages. The palace complex is surrounded by an old and picturesque park in the English style filled with pavilions and farm buildings, all part of the former the daily life of the castle.
Zamość is a city in southeastern Poland, situated in the southern part of Lublin Voivodeship, about 90 km from Lublin, 247 km from Warsaw and 60 km from the border with Ukraine. Zamosc was founded in the 16th century by the chancellor Jan Zamoysky on the trade route linking western and northern Europe with the Black Sea. Modelled on Italian theories of the ‘ideal city’ and built by the architect Bernando Morando, a native of Padua, Zamosc is a perfect example of a late-16th-century Renaissance town. It has retained its original layout and fortifications and a large number of buildings that combine Italian and central European architectural traditions.
Poland’s Sokólka Eucharistic Miracle
In October of 2008, an extraordinary event took place at St. Anthony of Padua parish church in Sokółka, Poland. A consecrated Host was transformed into a fragment of muscle tissue belonging to a living human heart suffering severe stress and on the point of death.
Suchowola is a town in north-eastern Poland in Sokółka County, located on both banks of the Olszanka River. Its population is 2,500. It is situated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship, having previously been in Białystok Voivodeship.
Lviv (also Lvov) is a city in western part of Ukraine with a great history and a lot of interesting places to visit. The city is an administrative center of Lviv Region, it is also one of the biggest industrial and transport, cultural and educational centers of Ukraine. Lvov is considered to be the center of Western Ukraine and capital of Galicia.
UKRAINE Lawra Poczajowska
Holy Dormition Pochayiv Lavra is a monastery in Pochayiv, Kremenets Raion, Ternopil Oblast, Ukraine. For centuries, it has been the foremost spiritual and ideological centre of various Orthodox denominations in Western Ukraine.
Olesk is located in the Volhynia Oblast in the Ljuboml district . The Rajonszentrum Ljuboml is located about 17 km northwest, the capital Luzkabout 89 km southeast. The Polish border runs in the west in about 20 kilometers distance, through the local area flows the river Neretwa (Неретва).
The site was mentioned in writing in 1453 for the first time and was up to the third partition of Poland in 1795 as part of the noble Republic of Poland-Lithuania , in the province of Ruthenia / Chelmer country . Then came the newly founded government of Volhynia as part of the Russian Empire . After the end of the First World War the place became part of the Second Polish Republic ( Voivodship Volhynia Nyskynytschi is part of today’s Ukraine.
Zhvanets( Ukrainian: Жванець) is a village (a selo) in the Kamianets-Podilskyi Raion (district) of Khmelnytskyi Oblast in Western Ukraine. The village’s population was 1,529 as of the 2001 Ukrainian census.
Lutsk (Ukrainian: Луцьк, translit. Luc’k, [ˈlut͡sʲk], Polish: Łuck, Yiddish: לוצק, translit. Luck) is a city on the Styr River in northwestern Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Volyn Oblast (province) and the administrative center of the surrounding Lutsk Raion (district) within the oblast, though it is not a part of the raion. Lutsk has the status of a city of oblast significance, equivalent to that of a raion. Population: 217,103 (2015 est.)
UKRAINE Kamieniec Podolski
Kamianets-Podilskyi Castle is a former Ruthenian-Lithuanian castle and a later three-part Polish fortress located in the historic city of Kamianets-Podilskyi, Ukraine, in the historic region of Podolia in the western part of the country.
Khotyn, first chronicled in 1001, is located on the right (southwestern) bank of the Dniester River, and is part of the historical region Bessarabia. Important architectural landmarks within the city include the Khotyn Fortress, constructed in the 13-15th centuries (new fortress started in 1325, major improvements in the 1380s and 1460s), and two 15th century constructions by Moldavia’s ruler Stephen the Great: the Prince’s Palace (Palatul Domnesc) and the city’s clock tower.
Vilnius, Lithuania’s capital, is known for its baroque architecture, seen especially in its medieval Old Town. But the buildings lining this district’s partially cobble stoned streets reflect diverse styles and eras, from the neoclassical Vilnius Cathedral to Gothic St. Anne’s Church. The 16th-century Gate of Dawn, containing a shrine with a sacred Virgin Mary icon, once guarded an entrance to the original city.
Trakai is a town in southeastern Lithuania, west of Vilnius, the capital. Part of the Trakai Historical National Park, Trakai Island Castle is a 14th-century fortress in the middle of Lake Galvė. Once a home to Lithuania’s grand dukes, it now houses the Trakai History Museum, with archaeological objects, coins and crafts. On the lake’s southern shore are the stone ruins of the Trakai Peninsula Castle.
LITHUANIA Szydlów / Šiluva (1st Marian Apparition in Europe)
Šiluva was first mentioned in 1457 in relation to the building of the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Apostles Saint Peter and Saint Bartholomew by the Lithuanian noble Petras Gedgaudas. Later the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary attracted huge numbers of the faithful to Šiluva, some from as far away of what later became Protestant Prussia.
LITHUANIA Šiauliai – Szawle
Šiauliai is a city in northern Lithuania. It’s a gateway to the Hill of Crosses, just northeast. A place of pilgrimage, the site was established in the 19th century as a symbol of resistance to Russian rule. It now includes more than 100,000 crosses. In the city center, the Aušros Museum’s several branches include the Photography Museum, with old Lithuanian photos and a camera obscura, and the Bicycle Museum.
Šiauliai: Hill Of Crosses
In the early 19th century, on a hill in the north of Lithuania outside of the town of Šiauliai (pronounced shau-lay), a simple act of faith was transformed into a defiant protest. People started placing crosses in memory of departed loved ones. During the 1831 Uprising against the Russian Empire, rebels would disappear and in place of a grave a cross would be erected to commemorate family members who had perished.
LITHUANIA Kaunas – Kowno
Kaunas is a city in south-central Lithuania. At the confluence of the Neris and Nemunas rivers, Kaunas Castle is a medieval fortress housing historical exhibitions. To the east, the old town is home to the Kaunas Cathedral Basilica, with its ornate interior, and the Gothic spires of the Hanseatic House of Perkūnas. Laisvės Alėja, a pedestrianized street lined with trees and cafes, crosses the city from west to east.